• 1989-1991: B. Sc.: Mathematics and Physics, Amirim Honors program Hebrew University, Israel
• 1991-1992: M. Sc.: Condensed Matter Physics, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
• 1993-1999: Ph. D.: Condensed Matter Physics, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
• 1999-2000: Post doctorate fellow: Cell Biology, Weizmann Institute, Israel.
• 2000-2001: Dicke fellow, Physics, Princeton University, USA.
• 2001-2003: Post-doctoral fellow, Center for Physics and Biology, Rockefeller University, USA.
2. Appointment at the Hebrew University
• 2003-2009: Senior Lecturer, Physics Department; Biological Physics
• 2009-2016 : Associate Professor, Physics Department; Biological Physics
• 2016- : Full Professor, Physics Department; Biological Physics
3. Additional Functions/Tasks at the Hebrew University
• Head of the Amirim Honors program (2014- )
• Co-initiator of the “Teachers-Researcher” program for improving science teaching in high schools.
4. Honors and awards:
• 1989 Dean award, B.Sc 1st year, Hebrew University
• 1990 Dean award, B. Sc, 2nd year Hebrew University
• 1993 Feinberg Graduate School Excellency Award, M. Sc., Weizmann Institute
• 2000 Dicke fellowship – Physics department, Princeton University
• 2003 Fellow of the Horowitz Center for Complexity Science
• 2009 Krill Prize for Excellence in Science from the Wolf Foundation
• 2010 ERC Starting Grant
• 2011- The Joseph and Sadie Danciger Chair in Physics
• 2015 ERC Consolidator Grant
• 2016 Klachky Prize for the Advancement of the Frontiers of Science
• 2016 Elected member of the European Academy of Microbiology (EAM)
5. Book Chapters:
• Balaban, N.Q., U.S. Schwarz, and B. Geiger, Measurement of cellular contractile forces using patterned elastomer. in Cell Biology: A Laboratory Handbook 3ED Ed. Julio Celis, 2005.
• Balaban N. Q. Bacterial Persistence in Bacterial Stress Responses 2ED Ed. G.Storz&R. Hengge (2010) ASM press, USA
• Levin Reisman I.(S) and Balaban N.Q.(PI) Quantitative measurements of the lag phase Methods in Molecular Biology, (2016) Humana Press, USA
For details of her research and recent publication, please visit HERE
© Copyright International BioDesign Research Conference - All rights reserved